Dr Saleem Dawood
Dr. Saleem Dawood is an experienced Interventional Cardiologist, with over 20 years of experience in complex coronary interventions, including left main interventions, bifurcations stenting and rotational atherectomy.
He is also an experienced operator in Transcutaneous Aortic valve replacement, having been involved in excess of 100 of these complex procedures.
He obtained his MBChB degree, with distinction (cum laude) from the University of Natal in 1992 and then excelled in his specialist exams. He was awarded the M.M. Suzman Medal by the College of medicine of SA for being the top candidate in South Africa to write the specialist exams in 1997. He subsequently completed his training as a Cardiologist at The UCT Cardiac Clinic and Groote Schuur Hospital and was registered as a Cardiologist in 2000.
He is a world-renowned Cardiologist and is regularly invited to speak at international meetings and conferences. Dr. Dawood is regarded as an international expert on Anti-Platelet therapy in Cardiology.
He sits on various International Pharmaceutical advisory boards for Bayer, AstraZeneca, Lilly. He has also served as the sole South African representative on the International advisory boards for the anti-platelet agents Prasugrel and Ticagrelor.
Dr Dawood serves as a consultant on National advisory boards for Boehringer, Cipla, Bayer, AstraZeneca, Lilly, MSD & Pharmadynamics.
He has been appointed to the International Faculty of 2 prestigious international cardiology conferences – India Live and New Frontiers in Interventional Cardiology.
Dr. Dawood also represents South Africa on the Global Advisory Board for Medtronic.
He is also actively involved in Clinical research and has been the Primary Investigator in multiple large International clinical trials, involving > 20 multi-national trials, some of which have been pivotal in changing the management of Cardiac disease over the last 10 years.
Dr. Dawood is a much sort after national and International speaker at conferences and a few of the international meetings that he has presented talks on over the last 10 years are:
- Seoul, South Korea – International consensus Meeting on Anti-Platelets in Acute Coronary Syndromes
- Frankfurt, Germany – Acute Coronary Syndrome Forum on Anti-Platelets and Bleeding risk
- London, UK – High Bleeding risk Symposium
- Budapest, Hungary – Chairman of Anti-Platelet session at EMICS meeting and case presentation on Complex Coronary Intervention.
- Dubai, UAE – case presentation on Complex CTO Intervention.
- Delhi, India – Expert Panel on anti-platelet therapy at India Live meeting
- Madrid, Spain – presented paper on 3rd Generation drug-eluting stents at Endovascular Therapies Meeting.
- Cochin, India – Chairmen of session on Complex Coronary Intervention.
- Krakow, Poland – TAVR presentation at New Frontiers in Interventional cardiology Meeting.
Currently, Dr. Dawood works as part of a dynamic team of Cardiologists at Cape Heart Clinic, which operates from multiple sites in Cape Town, South Africa.